I decided, instead of constantly borrowing the club's virtual hive for my tour of the schools, which means endless journeys to and fro picking up and returning it to wherever it is resting, to create my own. I have a spare one, it is my first hive which I bought from someone else so it is an old one and I keep it for use in an emergency, which truth be told is never! The nice thing about restoring it is, being my first hive, it has sentimental value and it will enjoy a new lease of life and the bees, I am sure, will be happy with the re-cycling mindset! I hadn't anticipated the amount of time it would take to clean up properly, sand down and paint, they are, after all, sticky little critters! But the weather, if just a tad hot, made it a really enjoyable, creative day outside as it did indeed take all day! I am not too happy with the lettering on the front, it's a bit too big and in your face, and as this took me ages to do, (I am no artist), I have decided to paint over it and have ordered instead a decal of the very same lettering, but more in proportion to the hive, which I can stick on in nano seconds.. boom! This afternoon I will take some photo's, when doing my bee inspection, of some of the brood and super frames that I can attach to the frames in the hive so the children can see what the actual frames look like when covered in bees, the brood, eggs, pollen and stores etc.. pictures to follow all going well!
Only 11 more days until I have the book in my sticky, nay itchy fingers! I am, it has to be said, more than excited.